• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Discord vs Teamspeak

Teamspeak or Discord?

• Total voters

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
Why choose Discord over Teamspeak and vice versa?

Please be complete on your answer.

1. Why?
  2. Advantage
  3. Disadvantage

It's just a question to see what people think of Discord I won't use this. ts3 4ever

Last edited:

FluffyViperDE

Hello,

1. WHY? Quite simply because I "grew up" with Teamspeak and have been using it for years with my friends
  2. In my opinion very clear.
  3. I have to say that Teamspeak has a lot of disadvantages. First, it is far too little updated. Second, integration ...
Result
My favorite VOIP program is and remains Teamspeak, even though Discord has such a hype Teamspeak is still my favorite program. I only use Discord in isolated cases :)

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
Thanks for giving your opinion that's cool to hear I also hate Discord for the same reasons the API suck... and the update aren't that "striking" if you know what I mean.

Xuxe

Containerholic
Staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
Contributor
Insider
Hi ;)

+1 for Discord :)

1. Discord has a new, better technical base. (Code + Infrastructure)

• Better and modern UI
  • More simple permission system as teamspeak.
  • Features like videochat, spotify integration :)
  • No mess with DDoS kids :p
  • No license fee for "old" crap
3. I miss sometimes the selfhosted servers.

I used Teamspeak for (so far i remember more then 8 years) and developed many tooling for it. I don't miss it since i use mainly discord (1 Year right now).
The reason to give up with teamspeak was simply the pricing / license stuff what they do. The price is to high for what they provide.

Xuxe

Containerholic
Staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
Contributor
Insider
Thanks for giving your opinion that's cool to hear I also hate Discord for the same reasons the API suck... and the update aren't that "striking" if you know what I mean.

Why does the API "suck"? It has an up 2 date, very clean api.

PS: I flaged the topic as sticky, in my opinion a good idea to discuss about it.

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
Thank you for your opinion,

It is true that I agree with you on some points such as the IU which is much more beautiful, the structure as well as the code.
as well the selfhosted.

But, I think it's less friendly than Teamspeak that someone who is starting to use Teamspeak will understand faster than Discord because they don't have too much to worry about the links, servers, friends, after that it's just a mix between Skype and TS, so it's a all marketing you know. There just too much hype beside this 'cause its new

EDIT: By meaning the API is less advanced than Discord tbh. There so much things to do with their API wonderfuls bots and the status message as currently playing game it's just cool as hell. I have nothing personal against Discord I'm using sometimes just if needed.

irgendwr

no longer active, "retired" staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
is uber awesome!
Contributor
Insider
I also hate Discord for the same reasons the API suck
Their APIs are documented well and seem to work reliably, TeamSpeaks query is waaay more annoying and lacks some features.

I switched to Discord last year because it's way more userfriendly, has a modern design and their servers are pretty good.
3. I miss sometimes the selfhosted servers.
This. :( (basically the only real downside that's bugging me)

Xuxe

Containerholic
Staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
Contributor
Insider
EDIT: By meaning the API is less advanced than Discord tbh. There so much things to do with their API wonderfuls bots and the status message as currently playing game it's just cool as hell.

Ah Sorry i got you wrong. Thought you mean the Discord API ;)

irgendwr

no longer active, "retired" staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
is uber awesome!
Contributor
Insider
and the update aren't that "striking" if you know what I mean.
The discord updates? They have added a ton of functionality (VideoChat/ScreenSharing, Spotify, Emoji, Categories, Bots, Game Overlay, ...) while TeamSpeak is basically doing nothing.

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
The discord updates? They have added a ton of functionality (VideoChat/ScreenSharing, Spotify, Emoji, Categories, Bots, Game Overlay, ...) while TeamSpeak is basically doing nothing.

Unlucky speaking about TS ! :(

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
Teamspeak each update is:

We fixed a typo and added few bugs to make it look like we're correcting things at the next patch.

Brini

Helping Hand
I personally use Teamspeak for talking, because all my friends are using it. We have our own Teamspeak Server and I like it more than Discord, because it is so simple and exactly does what it should and that stable with no bling bling :p

For me Discord is only a text messaging platform, to write with other people on my mobile. Another point is that, through the text channels, much less random people go into Voice Channels and you also get spammed with notifications from the chat. But the contact thing, that you can add people by their nickname and write them is a cool thing. So for me it's good to have both platforms, one for text and one for voice and because of the fact that I have a very cheap VPS host, were I got the VPS already paid for more than a year I probably never completly switch to Discord in the next time ^^.

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
I personally use Teamspeak for talking, because all my friends are using it. We have our own Teamspeak Server and I like it more than Discord, because it is so simple and exactly does what it should and that stable with no bling bling :p

For me Discord is only a text messaging platform, to write with other people on my mobile. Another point is that, through the text channels, much less random people go into Voice Channels and you also get spammed with notifications from the chat. But the contact thing, that you can add people by their nickname and write them is a cool thing. So for me it's good to have both platforms, one for text and one for voice and because of the fact that I have a very cheap VPS host, were I got the VPS already paid for more than a year I probably never completly switch to Discord in the next time ^^.

Feel like Skype 2.0

Diesmon

Tuetchen Dominator
is awesome!
Contributor
Insider
Biggest advantage for Discord is in my opinion the better UI + Persistent chats (aswell as having linked picture or videos inside the chat) + the webbased clients via webbrowser.

Thoose are imo the ground pillars of a modern chat/voice service.
  • High accessibility (web client)
  • Modern looking program
  • No need to open other programs to "enjoy" all content (images/videos/streams/websites can be opened inside discord)

Yasu

Using TeamSpeak:

Why?
I used TeamSpeak for a long time and tried Discord for a while but came very fast back to TeamSpeak for its advantages.
Additionaly Discord didn't run properly on my Potato-PC (high Ping, very crappy sound, very slooooooooow)

Advantages:
  • Selfhosted (in my case)
  • fully controlled by myself
  • Advanced Permission System
  • encrypted Connection
  • all the data belongs to me (no Servers outside my control and I know what happens with the data)
  • much faster and potato-friendlier than the chromium-based crap named Discord
  • no Limits...
Disadvantages
  • ...except for the Number of Clients that can be online at the same time
  • costs money for hosting + license (if the free one is not enough)
  • API/Serverquery-System could be better
  • It's hard to get into the Permission-System
Additional things I want to add
For me Discord is more like a social network with different communities than a real TeamSpeak-Alternative.
It features many different things and is more focused on the text-chats than the voice-communication (in my opinion).

Kir-à

Helping Hand
is awesome!
Contributor
Additional things I want to add
For me Discord is more like a social network with different communities than a real TeamSpeak-Alternative.
It features many different things and is more focused on the text-chats than the voice-communication (in my opinion).

I don't agree with this, but I respect it because it's your opinion. But know that Discord is far from being a social network where people can show their highlight reals, but about conversations. People are there for hangouts and meet new people this community-based system that is more advanced than TeamSpeak. (Friendlist, Servers Sidebar, Profiles, etc)

But that's all my opinion, I'm not impacting your on any way.

Yasu

Discord is far from being a social network

Maybe "social network" is not the right term.

I only have a small number of servers in my serverlist on Discord and there are so many messages each day that I lost the overview and can't find what I look for.
TeamSpeak doesn't have features that keep a community together on its own, but if you own a TeamSpeak-Server and you are able to provide a Forum for your Community, you have everything that Discord gives you (except for the Steam-like Gamestore), but in a way that is much easier to look through.

It comes down to what you want to have. If you want to have a platform to communicate with eachother, TeamSpeak is better.
If you want to build a community, but don't want to host a Forum then Discord may be the better solution.