• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Discord vs Teamspeak

Teamspeak or Discord?

• Total voters

flyth

is reticulating splines
Staff member
Developer
Contributor
Discord has a much lower entry hurdle - everyone can create a "server" with just a click and it doesn't cost a thing. That's a big thing nowadays that everything is much more casual oriented. You also have pretty good apps for mobile that keep the whole history of what happened when you were away - you choose when to read, if you care about it. I bet that voice chat on Discord is being used faaar less than when it first came out, while TS is still primarily voice only (I have rarely seen the chat being used for other things than bot commands or "I can hear you, can't you hear me?").

With TS (and in the early days of Discord) almost all users were gamers - with Discord that's not the case at all anymore. It's being used for Youtubers (not just gamers), Companies, Patreons etc.

Regarding the forums: many people that are targeted by Discord (and not by TS) don't know how to properly use forums. We have to delete content on the forums all the time as people just open new threads as if it were a chat (e.g. title: "SinusBot", content: "Hi guys, can I ask a question?"). Those users are much more comfortable with chats like in Discord.

So I guess it comes down to who you target with your community, how much control you really need over the permissions and how much your (and your users') privacy is worth to you. I can't imagine that Discord stores your voice communication (unless they're already told to monitor you), though :)

I really hope that TS will one day publish TS5 and blow our minds by implementing at least parts of the features Discord offers (and maybe even become a bit innovative again), but it really gets tougher each day that passes without it and more and more people getting used to Discord. For now it could seem as if their release schedule is somehow bound to the schedule of our new Airport here in Berlin. :/

DrWarpMan

Contributor
Insider
Discord has a much lower entry hurdle - everyone can create a "server" with just a click and it doesn't cost a thing. That's a big thing nowadays that everything is much more casual oriented. You also have pretty good apps for mobile that keep the whole history of what happened when you were away - you choose when to read, if you care about it. I bet that voice chat on Discord is being used faaar less than when it first came out, while TS is still primarily voice only (I have rarely seen the chat being used for other things than bot commands or "I can hear you, can't you hear me?").

With TS (and in the early days of Discord) almost all users were gamers - with Discord that's not the case at all anymore. It's being used for Youtubers (not just gamers), Companies, Patreons etc.

Regarding the forums: many people that are targeted by Discord (and not by TS) don't know how to properly use forums. We have to delete content on the forums all the time as people just open new threads as if it were a chat (e.g. title: "SinusBot", content: "Hi guys, can I ask a question?"). Those users are much more comfortable with chats like in Discord.

So I guess it comes down to who you target with your community, how much control you really need over the permissions and how much your (and your users') privacy is worth to you. I can't imagine that Discord stores your voice communication (unless they're already told to monitor you), though :)

I really hope that TS will one day publish TS5 and blow our minds by implementing at least parts of the features Discord offers (and maybe even become a bit innovative again), but it really gets tougher each day that passes without it and more and more people getting used to Discord. For now it could seem as if their release schedule is somehow bound to the schedule of our new Airport here in Berlin. :/
My words.

The only thing that I hate about TS3 (okay, except the pricing), is those updates, that are literally adding almost nothing, they do not even listen to community requests, if they do, then rarely.

TS5 is our only hope, and if they screw up, TS lost the fight completely.

irgendwr

no longer active, "retired" staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
is uber awesome!
Contributor
Insider
The only thing that I hate about TS3 (okay, except the pricing), is those updates, that are literally adding almost nothing, they do not even listen to community requests, if they do, then rarely.
Yup, I agree. Discord has a page for submitting and voting on feedback and they actually seem to listen.
TS5 is our only hope
hehe, I don't use TS anymore and TS5 is very unlikely to change that. I don't have high hopes.

Kamikaze

Contributor
Now I can say definitly Teamspeak! Teamspeak 5 Beta!!
Sneak Peak for you guys without Beta access
https://i.imgur.com/otJXIAZ.png
otJXIAZ.png

DrWarpMan

Contributor
Insider
That it looks better doesn't say it's 100% better.

I am using it. I mean I have it but I don't use it since it is missing so many features at the moment. But for a human that doesn't care about features it's cool. Because he wants to talk or chat.

It is still beta anyways.