• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • If you want to test the new SinusBot for Windows that is compatible with TS version 3.1 & the current Discord version, please use this version.

Sound quality is very low.

ShiningCrystal

Donor
is awesome!
#1
Hello everyone!
Since the last update I noticed that the sound quality of my bot seems to be much worse than before. It basically feels like listening to a song in 240P from YouTube.
It's not easy to tell, but if you have a good audio card you will notice the difference.
Since I had a couple of problems with Youtube-DL I thought it was an issue related to the quality of the music file itself, so I tried to update a high bitrate .mp3 file but the problem persisted.
My dedicated server has around 1 Gigabit download and upload speed, a really good CPU and enough RAM to run the bot without any issue. I'm also using Opus Music (10) on each channel of my server.
It's really frustrating because I used to listen to a lot of music from the bot, as the quality was really great and had no difference from a high bitrate YouTube song.
Any advice?

Edit: I ran the diagnostic script, but the installation seems to be fine. In case you want to check my settings and hardware specs:
Code:
==========================================================
SINUSBOT RELATED
SYSTEM INFORMATION
- Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (OpenVZ)
- Kernel: Linux 4.4.0 x86_64
- Load Average: 0.20 0.23 0.23
- Uptime: 18 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes, 14 seconds
- OS x64 check: OK
- OS Updates: 3 (updates available!)
- OS Missing Packages: None
- OS APT Last Update: 11.02.2018 07:24:25 UTC +00:00:00
- SHELL LOCALE LANG: (not set)
- Bot Start Script: not found
- DNS resolution check: www.sinusbot.com resolved to 104.18.41.220 -> OK
- HTTPS check with IPv4 mode: SUCCESS [Connection was established to www.sinusbot.com, CODE #200]
- HTTPS check with IPv6 mode: IGNORE
- CPU:
    Architecture:          x86_64
    CPU(s):                0
    Model name:            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2683 v3 @ 2.00GHz
    CPU MHz:               2499.843
    Virtualization:        VT-x
    Hypervisor vendor:     vertical
    Virtualization type:   full
- RAM:  B/8.00 GB in use (%)
- SWAP:  B/ B in use (%)
- DISK: 2.91 GB/53.50 GB in use (5%)
- Package versions:
   + libglib: 2.48.2-0ubuntu1
BOT INFORMATION
- Status: running (PIDs: *censored*, User: sinusbot)
- Webinterface: port locally reachable (Port: *censored*)
- Binary: /opt/sinusbot/sinusbot
- Binary Info: MD5 Hash: 9e74167de6a4b9931e381cc86bf05b3e, Perms: 755, User: sinusbot
- Version: 0.13.37-f7e9ece
- TS3 Plugin: installed (md5 hash match)
   - Bot Plugin: 26551adc40e47c6d5d02517b8575d375
   - TS3 Client: 26551adc40e47c6d5d02517b8575d375
- Config:
   - LogLevel = 8
   - TS3Path = /opt/sinusbot/teamspeak3-client/ts3client_linux_amd64 (Version 3.1.8)
   - YoutubeDLPath = /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl (does exist, version: 2018.02.08)
- Installed scripts: advertising.js; alonemode.js; bookmark.js; followme.js; norecording.js; rememberChannel.js; welcome.js
TIME INFORMATION
- Time (local): 11.02.2018 07:50:20 UTC +00:00:00
- Time (remote): <Failed retrieving remote time!>
- Time (difference): n/a secs
- Timezone: Etc/UTC
OTHER INFORMATION
- TeamSpeak 3 Version: 3.1.8
- youtube-dl Version: 2018.02.08
- DiagScript Version: 0.7.0
==========================================================
 
Last edited:

flyth

is reticulating splines
Staff member
Developer
#2
There have been changes to the ytdl interface that _might_ cause your issue. But:

Since I had a couple of problems with Youtube-DL I thought it was an issue related to the quality of the music file itself, so I tried to update a high bitrate .mp3 file but the problem persisted.
What exactly did you do?
 

ShiningCrystal

Donor
is awesome!
#3
I apologise for the late reply.
First I downloaded a couple of songs with Sinusbot (using both !yt and !ytdl for the "quality test"), then I uploaded an .mp3 file through the web panel so the file would maintain its quality, without any compression whatsoever. Sadly, I noticed no difference. They both sounded rather bad.

So that means Youtube-DL is not the issue, because the uploaded file would have sounded better than the downloaded file if that was the case.
Clearly, a 320Kbps mp3 file is very different if listened locally or streamed through a VoIP service like TS3 or Discord. But I would expect little difference in terms of quality from listening to a song from YT and downloading / streaming it through the bot.
So it may be something related to Sinusbot or Teamspeak3 itself.

I understand Teamspeak has a pretty low bitrate (only up to 12 Kb/s using Opus Music 10, correct me if I'm wrong) but the quality has changed a lot since last 2-3 updates. It used to be much better, to the point where I'd rather listen to music from the bot than Youtube or my PC.
I also understand that such a problem would be hard to notice or reproduce, and might look like a minor issue, but it's been one of the reasons I stopped using Sinusbot for "daily music listening".
 
Last edited:

Similar threads