• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Using Hamachi to connect to bot outside of network (windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenericIce

So to preface this incase someone asks why, I have a discord for me and my buddies and we frequently use hamachi to play games together. I want to give them access to the bot via the web interface and not want to bother with port forwarding or leaving ports open.
I'll probably get a reply saying "Just port forward", but I'd like to do it this way. Think of it as a learning experience :)
So using hamachi as an alternative to port forwarding has made lives very easy as you don't have to open a new port if you change hosts (one of my friends hosts instead).

I've tried setting up hamachi and giving someone my hamachi IP address and then :8087 as that is the port. However the browser just gives "xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8087 took too long to respond". Am I misunderstanding how Hamachi works, and so can't use it this way?
I've tried connecting using a VPN set up by hamachi on my android phone

Bot version: 0.9.16-34aebc2
Browser: Chrome for android to test it.

Bot logs don't provide any information.

I've done a bit of research and this is how it is done every other way, and the ports for game servers work this way. Feel free to ask for information

Thanks guys

LudaLuke

I understand your learning experience, but personally, setup port forwarding, I say this for 2 reasons.

1. Using port forwarding it will allow you to pick a random external port such as 37265 and just use translation on your router to point it to port 8087 on your internal network, if your friend has the technical capability (which if your running Sinusbot he probably does) get him to do the same, both using the same external random port, for example above 37265

2. Setup a free dynamic dns service, there are many, personally I use freedns from afraid.org as they have a list of programs that are able to update your ip of your dynamic address at a couple of clicks of buttons, so instead of your friends connecting to your's/your friend's IP address or over hamachi or an internal lan ip they can connect to something like musicbot.freednsaddress.net:37265 on their web browser, then if your friend wants to host instead of you he can just run the updater program on his computer and the users don't have to change the address or play around with anything, because in the background the address of where musicbot.freednsaddress:37265 is pointing to over the internet is no longer your public IP address it would then be your friends - this also affords you a level of security as the port translation occurring from 37265 on your external ip to 8087 (sinusbot webinterface port by default) on your internal network.

I know this sounds like a lot to do and take in, but by following the above, and some small reading might be necessary to understand everything properly, this will solve your problem and in a nice and easy way, that's basically what I sort've did when I got into understanding domains without having to remember an IP address for remote access, ts 3 servers, game hosts etc...

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.