• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Solved daily update?

ZerefGG

Hello,
I've installed sinusbot using sinusbot-installer.
I noticed that every night at 00:00 an update request is done via cron, however, the system/script tries to send an email to a non existing user
Code:
Jun  1 00:00:01 CRON[17331]: (teamspeak) CMD (youtube-dl -U --restrict-filename >/dev/null)
Jun  1 00:00:01 CRON[17332]: (teamspeak) CMD (/xxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/sinusbot -update >/dev/null)
Jun  1 00:00:01 postfix/pickup[17265]: 7F6FF23253: uid=1004 from=<user>
Jun  1 00:00:01 postfix/qmgr[10758]: 7F6FF23253: from=<[email protected]>, size=676, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun  1 00:00:01 postfix/pickup[17265]: 89CD021AA6: uid=1004 from=<user>
Jun  1 00:00:01 postfix/qmgr[10758]: 89CD021AA6: from=<[email protected]>, size=958, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun  1 00:00:01 postfix/lmtp[17349]: 7F6FF23253: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<user>, relay=xxxxxx.net[private/dovecot-lmtp], delay=0.2, delays=0.08/0.03/0.03/0.07, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host xxxxxx.net[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]> User doesn't exist: [email protected] (in reply to RCPT TO command))
trying to send 3 emails at 00:00:01

My question is how to change the email address the message will be sent to, and what kind of message is that? system/sinusbot info?

Regards

irgendwr

no longer active, "retired" staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
is uber awesome!
Contributor
Insider
Since this has nothing to do with the sinusbot itself you should post it in the resource thread of the installer script.

how to change the email address the message will be sent to, and what kind of message is that? system/sinusbot info?
You're better of using a search engine to find the answers you are looking for.
Every task that is run by cron that outputs something to stdout or stderr makes cron send an email to the system user it was run as with the output of the command as the message. This is the default behaviour of cron.

If you want to prevent this you can either force nothing to be returned by piping the output to /dev/null or you can remove this crontask entirely by running crontab -e (probably with the sinusbot user) and removing the line with the command.

// Edit: fixed embarrassing misspelling of cron, thanks flyth ;D

Last edited:

Xuxe

Containerholic
Staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
Contributor
Insider
Every task that is run by cron that outputs something to stdout or stderr makes cron send an email to the system user it was run as with the output of the command as the message. This is the default behaviour of cron.

If you want to prevent this you can either force nothing to be returned by piping the output to /dev/null or you can remove this crontask entirely by running crontab -e (probably with the sinusbot user) and removing the line with the command.

Or set MAILTO="" at the head of crontab -e ;)

the system/script tries to send an email to a non existing user

Could also mean your system is maybe hacked and someone has configured this mail. You should know what your email is if you entered it somewhere.
You should go ASAP to get some basic linux skills. :p

Last edited:

ZerefGG

Since this has nothing to do with the sinusbot itself you should post it in the resource thread of the installer script.

the script created 2 cronjobs (2 different cronfiles in /etc/cron.d/) the problem is that the script writer misspelled the "> /dev/null" that's why the mail was being sent the the user instead of redirection. I just noticed that!
Thanks for your answer and sorry for posting in the wrong section

Could also mean your system is maybe hacked and someone has configured this mail. You should know what your email is if you entered it somewhere.
You should go ASAP to get some basic linux skills. :p
hacked? no don't worry, and I am not a linux newbie, the mail was being sent to an non existing ssh user @ fqdn hostname which I don't use for mailing ! :)

Last edited: