• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Full license and one bot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jniklas2

Donor
is awesome!
Insider
Oh, yes... It was only a template
Tbh: I don't think it was a template, because a template is something you only need to change or set a few variables and can just use it.
I would describe this part of your script more of a template as your previous commands. Otherwise a good documentation or instruction would also be a template

David1981

FYI, the installation guide is now updated with the latest information.
Additionally the current version under /dl is now 1.0.2, so the installation guide works again.
Furthermore the SinusBot installer got fixed.
Everything should be simple enough again ❤️
Hello, and where exactly can I find the installation manual? Thank you very much

Justman10000

Helping Hand
But it has a few flaws in it...

1. Why are you using screen and not creating a service for sinusbot?
    With a service it would automatically restart after you restart your server.
  2. Also you're seemingly setting the sinusbot port on port 0 instead of the default one.
  3. You're checking if the command python exists but you don't check the python version since yt-dlp only supports python 3.6+
  4. You're starting sinusbot with the override-password parameter. You should try to read the output and get the generated password out of it. (Simply more secure for stupid/lazy people ;))
  5. You're script works only on debian based systems (not really a flaw, but you should at least check for things like apt before doing anything)
  6. You should check for other dependencies like the kernel version and what virtualization is used (if any).
    Why virtualization check? For OpenVZ based systems, you can't update the kernel and most (if not all) systems are using a very old kernel.
  7. From where do you get the version info for the latest version?
  8. You're setting the sinusbot directory as readable for everyone. That's a very big nogo for any linux system
What I like about your script:
  1. You're asking and warning before deleting the lock file (even though you should invert the y/n selection. If I would write an a (for abort) or let it empty as the answer you delete the file)
  2. You let the administrator choose the desired port, that he wants to use.

Those only a few things I spotted during a quick glance over your script.

And why is your script clearer?
And why are you thinking, there are more functions in your script than in the official?
Sure, you can select yt-dlp or youtube-dl and which ts3 client version to use (both options are a bit stupid in my opinion) but the official one supports multiple operating systems and you can choose between discord+teamspeak or only discord.
So, I've brought out a new version 🙂 .... A few points are still missing

flyth

is reticulating splines
Staff member
Developer
Contributor
A question... Am I crazy or are you trying to lure people away from my script by all means?
It makes sense to point to the official guides - they've been here for a long time and we have full control over it. That is not the case for scripts hosted by third parties like yourself. Without assuming that's your intent - but who is guaranteeing that the script behind that link won't be installing malicious software or will even be available in the future?

Like I said earlier, it shouldn't be necessary to use workarounds in the first place - if it is, it makes sense to fix it in the official repo long term, as that's the only place where we can "guarantee" basic maintenance.

It would be great if we could now finally get over this whole topic: I'm fine with you posting an alternative version of an installer - but please don't advertise it as being better in every regard and especially not by "necroing" old threads. Feel free to open PRs on the official repo if you really want to contribute - in which case I hope the mods will behave adequatley and review your suggestions in a calm tone and with an open mind.

Justman10000

Helping Hand
It makes sense to point to the official guides - they've been here for a long time and we have full control over it. That is not the case for scripts hosted by third parties like yourself. Without assuming that's your intent - but who is guaranteeing that the script behind that link won't be installing malicious software or will even be available in the future?

Like I said earlier, it shouldn't be necessary to use workarounds in the first place - if it is, it makes sense to fix it in the official repo long term, as that's the only place where we can "guarantee" basic maintenance.

It would be great if we could now finally get over this whole topic: I'm fine with you posting an alternative version of an installer - but please don't advertise it as being better in every regard and especially not by "necroing" old threads. Feel free to open PRs on the official repo if you really want to contribute - in which case I hope the mods will behave adequatley and review your suggestions in a calm tone and with an open mind.
The problem is that I have already invested time! If I destroy my installer now...

flyth

is reticulating splines
Staff member
Developer
Contributor
The problem is that I have already invested time! If I destroy my installer now...
Noone asked you to "destroy" anything. But you having deleted it now sadly but exactly proves my point. I'm gonna close this discussion now.

Status
Not open for further replies.