• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!

Issue with the latest youtube-dl

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Hello,
unfortunately youtube-dl doesn't get updated since June and now some issues have raised. YouTube has probably changed something and the download speed gets seriously throttled, furthermore it appears that youtube-dl downloads corrupted or incomplete files sometimes.

I know this is not a Sinusbot issue but a youtube-dl issue. Thing is that in the newest youtube-dl fork called yt-dlp these issues have been sorted out and the overall thing works better. We don't know if youtube-dl will ever get updated or if yt-dlp will be its successor at this point.
I tried to use yt-dlp with Sinusbot but it says youtube-dl not available.

Any ideas on how we can sort this out?

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Maybe read the read me before u post?

We need more info
I've read the readme and i don't think that posting those details is going to help with this issue since it's about youtube-dl as I've wrote.

But since apparently they're so important, here you go:
  • SinusBot version 1.0.0-beta.14-dc94a7c
  • TS 5.0beta65 and 3.13.6
  • Debian 10
  • VPS, 4GB ram 2vcore
  • untouched config pointing to the original youtube-dl
EDIT: adding repos

The issue has also been described in this thread on the youtube-dl git: https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/30075

This is the updated fork which is supposed to work but that unfortunately does not work with Sinusbot: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Since no one seem to actually pay attention to this even though it's an actual and critic issue, I will now explain how after some work I managed to get it running correctly in docker.

What I did was to attach to the executing container and once inside it, install python3: since the image isn't even shipped with it but just with python2.7, useless for this purpose.

Once python3 is installed you download the latest executable of yt-dlp, the fork which actually works (can't say the same for youtube-dl), you can find the link in my latest post.

Then you point the bot's config.ini to this new executable, which you can put in /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp.

Once done just give a docker restart and you can finally enjoy a working music bot that does not download corrupted videos at 50kB/s :)