• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Issue with the latest youtube-dl

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Hello,
unfortunately youtube-dl doesn't get updated since June and now some issues have raised. YouTube has probably changed something and the download speed gets seriously throttled, furthermore it appears that youtube-dl downloads corrupted or incomplete files sometimes.

I know this is not a Sinusbot issue but a youtube-dl issue. Thing is that in the newest youtube-dl fork called yt-dlp these issues have been sorted out and the overall thing works better. We don't know if youtube-dl will ever get updated or if yt-dlp will be its successor at this point.
I tried to use yt-dlp with Sinusbot but it says youtube-dl not available.

Any ideas on how we can sort this out?

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Maybe read the read me before u post?

We need more info
I've read the readme and i don't think that posting those details is going to help with this issue since it's about youtube-dl as I've wrote.

But since apparently they're so important, here you go:
  • SinusBot version 1.0.0-beta.14-dc94a7c
  • TS 5.0beta65 and 3.13.6
  • Debian 10
  • VPS, 4GB ram 2vcore
  • untouched config pointing to the original youtube-dl
EDIT: adding repos

The issue has also been described in this thread on the youtube-dl git: https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/30075

This is the updated fork which is supposed to work but that unfortunately does not work with Sinusbot: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Since no one seem to actually pay attention to this even though it's an actual and critic issue, I will now explain how after some work I managed to get it running correctly in docker.

What I did was to attach to the executing container and once inside it, install python3: since the image isn't even shipped with it but just with python2.7, useless for this purpose.

Once python3 is installed you download the latest executable of yt-dlp, the fork which actually works (can't say the same for youtube-dl), you can find the link in my latest post.

Then you point the bot's config.ini to this new executable, which you can put in /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp.

Once done just give a docker restart and you can finally enjoy a working music bot that does not download corrupted videos at 50kB/s :)

DrWarpMan

Contributor
Insider
I actually have been probably experiencing this issue as well.
Sometimes I need to write !ytdl like 10 times to actually download something, and the download takes more than a minute.

I wonder how should I proceed outside of docker?

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
I actually have been probably experiencing this issue as well.
Sometimes I need to write !ytdl like 10 times to actually download something, and the download takes more than a minute.

I wonder how should I proceed outside of docker?
Outside of docker? Even easier ;-) Just download the latest release of youtube dl-p as I linked, and just be sure to have python3 installed on your machine. After that you just need to point the config.ini to the new yt-dlp and that's it!

banananex

Oh, then I did something wrong I guess. I updated Python to Python 3.10.0. I downloaded the latest yt-dlp.exe file. Then I added this line in the config:

YoutubeDLPath = "C:\\SinusBot\\youtube-dl\\yt-dlp.exe"

This is also in my config:

[YoutubeDL]
BufferSize = 524288
MaxDownloadSize = 419430400
MaxDownloadRate = 104857600
MaxSimultaneousChunkDownloads = 6
CacheStreamed = false
TimeoutSingleDownloader = 0
TimeoutMultiDownloader = 0
ChunkSize = 3145728

Using Windows 10 and the latest SinusBot installed.

Edit: I also tried just renaming the yt-dlp.exe to youtube-dl.exe without changing anything in my config.

Edit 2: I have this error

1617705570342.png

The last time this error was shown on this forum, we needed an updated youtube-dl version. See here:

https://forum.sinusbot.com/threads/...struct-field-ytdlformat-abr-of-type-int.8291/

As I'm trying to use yt-dlp now, this fix won't work for me. Any ideas?

Last edited:

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
Oh, then I did something wrong I guess. I updated Python to Python 3.10.0. I downloaded the latest yt-dlp.exe file. Then I added this line in the config:

This is also in my config:

Using Windows 10 and the latest SinusBot installed.

Edit: I also tried just renaming the yt-dlp.exe to youtube-dl.exe without changing anything in my config.

Edit 2: I have this error

View attachment 4468

The last time this error was shown on this forum, we needed an updated youtube-dl version. See here:

https://forum.sinusbot.com/threads/...struct-field-ytdlformat-abr-of-type-int.8291/

As I'm trying to use yt-dlp now, this fix won't work for me. Any ideas?
Mhhh this is weird. I am sorry but i tested it on a linux machine so i have no clue on Windows right now, but i will keep investigating on this.

Akiroto

I think it's a bit early to consider yt-dlp as the successor of youtube-dl.
The current situation regarding throttling is rather nebulous.
It is likely that the situation is the same with yt-dlp.
I didn't have time to look too much but from what I understand is that yt-dlp try to solves the throttling problem through the Android API for the moment.

TheSinusBotOfTeo997

Donor
is awesome!
I think it's a bit early to consider yt-dlp as the successor of youtube-dl.
The current situation regarding throttling is rather nebulous.
It is likely that the situation is the same with yt-dlp.
I didn't have time to look too much but from what I understand is that yt-dlp try to solves the throttling problem through the Android API for the moment.
I don't know honestly, you may be right for sure. Thing is that what i see now, is that youtube-dl is not getting updates since June and doesn't work, instead yt-dlp does.

banananex

The error I'm getting is the same as in the forum post I linked. One user posted the following:

The issue is caused by a slight change in youtube-dl's metadata output.
After a refactoring, it stores the 'adr' value as a floating -point number, but sinusbot expects an integer.

He fixed it in the source code and provided a compiled youtube-dl version. Maybe the same fix is needed in yt-dlp for it to work with SinusBot?