• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!

Issue with the latest youtube-dl

rikkuz

Since no one seem to actually pay attention to this even though it's an actual and critic issue, I will now explain how after some work I managed to get it running correctly in docker.

What I did was to attach to the executing container and once inside it, install python3: since the image isn't even shipped with it but just with python2.7, useless for this purpose.

Once python3 is installed you download the latest executable of yt-dlp, the fork which actually works (can't say the same for youtube-dl), you can find the link in my latest post.

Then you point the bot's config.ini to this new executable, which you can put in /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp.

Once done just give a docker restart and you can finally enjoy a working music bot that does not download corrupted videos at 50kB/s :)
hi, thank you for the solution! could you write a beginner's guide on how to make this solution? I installed python3, but i don't know how to continue..

Last edited:

rikkuz

Outside of docker? Even easier ;-) Just download the latest release of youtube dl-p as I linked, and just be sure to have python3 installed on your machine. After that you just need to point the config.ini to the new yt-dlp and that's it!
what do you mean with "you just need to point the config.ini to the new yt-dlp and that's it!"?

MauriceR

Donor
is awesome!
Contributor
what do you mean with "you just need to point the config.ini to the new yt-dlp and that's it!"?
Well, it means just that.
Edit for example
Code:
YoutubeDLPath = "/usr/local/bin/youtube-dl"
to
Code:
YoutubeDLPath = "/usr/local/bin/yt-dlp"
But make sure that the file is also named "yt-dlp". If it's named "youtube-dlp" or something else you need to of course change it to "youtube-dlp" in the config.ini

rikkuz

Well, it means just that.
Edit for example
Code:
YoutubeDLPath = "/usr/local/bin/youtube-dl"
to
Code:
YoutubeDLPath = "/usr/local/bin/yt-dlp"
But make sure that the file is also named "yt-dlp". If it's named "youtube-dlp" or something else you need to of course change it to "youtube-dlp" in the config.ini
Thank you for the reply. I have already tried but it doesn't work (the error in this case is "youtube-dl not available"). I think you have to do something with Python before, but i don't know

Lolpik

Thank you for the reply. I have already tried but it doesn't work (the error in this case is "youtube-dl not available"). I think you have to do something with Python before, but i don't know
Try this and then restart
Code:
chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp

xDyego

Since no one seem to actually pay attention to this even though it's an actual and critic issue, I will now explain how after some work I managed to get it running correctly in docker.

What I did was to attach to the executing container and once inside it, install python3: since the image isn't even shipped with it but just with python2.7, useless for this purpose.

Once python3 is installed you download the latest executable of yt-dlp, the fork which actually works (can't say the same for youtube-dl), you can find the link in my latest post.

Then you point the bot's config.ini to this new executable, which you can put in /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp.

Once done just give a docker restart and you can finally enjoy a working music bot that does not download corrupted videos at 50kB/s :)
Hi, could you help me? I did the entire process described here, but the error continues: "youtube-dl not available"