• If you need help or want to discuss things, you now can also join us on our Discord Server!
  • A first preview of the unlimited version of SinusBot can be found in the Upcoming Changes thread. A version for Windows will follow, but we don't have a release date, yet.

Solved Bitcoin mining through Sinusbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guchen

I just noticed that the account sinusbot is mining bitcoins on my server. Do you have any explanation. Here is the URL of the pool: http://zpool.ca/?address=1LUCM2EmaqHSja1i9Y8ddbAKcXeVcTnDXF
I'll attach an image of the htop result on my server (blacked out IP and password override). What exactly is this and why is the bot mining bitcoins?
8fc992ee4c.png

flyth

is reticulating splines
Staff member
Developer
Contributor
I guess you have setup a sinusbot user with a weak password and have password authentication enabled on your server, which both you shouldn't do. Also: where did you download the bot?

irgendwr

no longer active, "retired" staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
is uber awesome!
Contributor
Insider
What exactly is this and why is the bot mining bitcoins?
The bot itself is not mining bitcoins this would be a dumb idea on many levels.

This is only possible if someone has compromised you server, most likely via 3rd party software like cracks ;)

also: this is why we don't want people running things as root or getting untrustworthy 3rd party stuff.

Guchen

I guess you have setup a sinusbot user with a weak password and have password authentication enabled on your server, which both you shouldn't do. Also: where did you download the bot?
I downloaded it through the official installation script. I guess I'll just kill the processes and disable password authentication even though I think I've done that

Xuxe

Containerholic
Staff member
is awesome!
V.I.P.
Contributor
Insider
I downloaded it through the official installation script. I guess I'll just kill the processes and disable password authentication even though I think I've done that

The official install script does not run multiple bot instances and abuses our terms and license system.
PS: I think your server is hacked, go reinstall it and learn how to secure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.